Me + Snow = Donezo.

>> Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I am so tired of winter. I'm ready to write off snow as a friend forever. I know, I know, I live in Tennessee and I have no right to complain about snow. But your holier-than-though snowiness can shove it, because I hate it and I'm done with it.


A month ago, I got yet another joyful colonoscopy and stricture dilation. I spent a Sunday guzzling salty water (the dreaded prep), not eating for more than 24 hours and stuck in the bathroom. Around 10 p.m., the snow started to fall hard, and every news channel was warning of the coming apocalypse. "The clinic might be closed tomorrow. You shouldn't drive to Nashville," my mom texted me. I had already finished my prep and was about to go to sleep for the procedure in the morning.

Luckily, the clinic wasn't closed. But it took us THREE hours to drive the 30 miles, watching everyone around us skid and overcorrect on the interstate covered with an inch of ice.

I did not care. I would have walked, or maybe made my five-pound poodle drag me on a sled. After doing that prep, Hell opening up would not stop me from getting to the doctor for my procedure as scheduled.

We're expecting a "blizzard" any hour here in Middle Tennessee. (This means two inches. Yeah.) Schools were let out early, the traffic on the way to pick up Adelyn was out. of. control. They were almost out of milk at the grocery store. My apartment is BURNING up upstairs and so, so cold downstairs. I am sick of battling a screaming baby every morning before we leave the house, struggling to put on her jacket, her socks, her shoes, warming up the car and inevitably forgetting something back in the house each and every time I manage to make it out to the car with my purse, Addy's diaper bag, all the documents and books I have to schlep to work, and, um, Adelyn.

I am ready to put on a breezy sundress, some sandals, to put Adelyn in an even cuter sundress and sandals, to walk casually out my door and take my time walking to the car because it's not -300 degrees outside. I want to enjoy being outside again.

Anyway. Adelyn's been really sick since Saturday. She woke up that morning with the highest fever she's ever had. Then it went away and she seemed fine. On Sunday, stuff started showing up in her diaper that I don't want to write about here. (No, I didn't taste it to see what it was.) Later that day a mysterious rash showed up on her stomach and back. On top of it all, her gums are more swollen than I've ever seen them.

I usually work from home on Mondays, but this one was spent working only after she fell asleep--spending the day trying to do whatever I could to stop her from crying. Tuesday, she still wasn't better, so I stayed home from work and again spent my day at war with the fussiness. I didn't leave the house for TWO days. I did not relish in this.

Today, I went to work. I got a text from Adelyn's babysitter about the explosion that erupted out of her diaper and all over their floor.

And now, we're home, Adelyn's asleep. The snow has started falling almost to the minute they predicted.

Maybe I'll just put on my sundress and walk around the house.

4 comments:

Jaclyn,  February 9, 2011 at 6:43 PM  

ME TOOOO!!!!! And it only snows during book cycle each month which is crazy time for me. AND then Ella's daycare closes, and I'm screwed!!!!!

Variations On A Theme February 10, 2011 at 2:50 PM  

How do you do this? You write so well just what the rest of us are thinking and feeling. ditto. love your post (as always)

Unknown February 10, 2011 at 9:48 PM  

Sarah, I absolutely love reading your posts. I can really relate to a lot of what your going through and its good to know that other woman are going through the same and feel the same. So you were saying adelyn was running a fever and then broke out in a rash on her stomach. I know Harper had the same symptoms and turned out to be roseola. I think its pretty common for most toddlers to get. I know one thing....she sure was grumpy! Which I can't say I wouldn't be. I know adelyn just turned one but it seems like they hit the terrible two stage at about 13-14 months. Harper has really been testing my patience lately. It's amazing to watch such a small mini me be so sassy at that age. I really don't know what I'm gonna do with her. I know we don't know each other that well but I really think all mothers can relate. Hope adelyn gets to feeling better! Lets do a spring dance...maybe the snow gods will back off.

Rachel,  February 13, 2011 at 7:45 AM  

I second the vote for roseola, sounds just like when my almost one year old got it. Sleep and plenty of fluids did the trick for us. Hope Addy feels better soon!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP